Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Recipe Wednesday

Pumpkin Protein Bars


This is one of my favorite "go to" snacks. I love just tossing one in my purse while on the go!

Ingredients
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup egg whites
1 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup protein powder*
4 tbsp coconut flour**
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips***

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x8 baking dish. 
2. Mix first 3 ingredients together. 
3. In a separate bowl mix together next 6 ingredients. 
4. Add the dry ingredients into the the wet and mix together, once all dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet, add your chocolate chips. 
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. 
6. Let cool completely, then cut into 10 bars and individually wrap. Store in refrigerator. 

I ate one before taking this pic, oops.


Notes
*Make sure you use a high quality protein powder that does not have any artificial ingredients like sucrolose. I use plant based proteins, but whey would work just fine. Also any flavor works. My normal brand is Life Basics Lean Plantein Vanilla, available here.
**I have also used spelt or almond flour with good results. You just want to stay away from your highly processed white flours.
***Since there are no other sweeteners in this recipe, I do not recommend omitting the chocolate chips. It needs them :)
-Also I have had a lot of trouble with these sticking, the only thing I have found that helps is flouring the dish. If any one else has any ideas, let me know.

Nutritional Facts
Serving size 1 bar or 1/10th the recipe
Calories- 88
Carbs- 7
Fats- 2
Protein- 11
(This is based on using Coconut flour and the Protein Powder mentioned above)

No comments:

Post a Comment